”We find the Crew Manager program a benefit the first time our folks take it… it shows a person wants to better themselves and has incentive. People interested in advancement like to look at this as a window on what they would be doing.”
-Susan Dippre, Landscape Supervisor, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
The Crew Manager and Advanced Crew Manager Certification Programs were developed by The Virginia Horticultural Foundation. The Crew Manager program is offered annually and the Advanced Crew Manager program is offered every other year at the Mid-Atlantic Horticulture Short Course (MAHSC).
Crew Manager Certification
The Crew Manager program is for the new supervisor who is just beginning to supervise work crews. Making the move from crew member to the supervisor is tough, and this training teaches supervisory and management skills. Learn how to move from buddy to boss with management skills and hone your role as the safety enforcement representative for your crew. To receive certification, Crew Managers must take a two-day course at the Mid-Atlantic Horticulture Short Course and pass a written exam in the same year.
Advanced Crew Manager Certification
The Advanced Crew Manager program is designed for the Crew Manager whose career in the green industry is on the rise, who is ready to manage multiple crews and for those ready to move up in the company. After two years in good standing, Crew Managers are eligible to progress into Advanced Crew Manager certification. An Advanced Crew Manager truly understands the importance of worker safety, environmental regulations, and the need for efficient work crews to help the organization and to advance their own career. The Advanced Crew Manager program is a one-day certification program and there is no test required.
Benefits of Crew Manager or Advanced Crew Manager Certification:
- The Virginia Horticultural Foundation’s Crew Manager program is widely recognized as a quality training program for managers in horticulture and may be required by employers for career advancement.
- Virginia Horticultural Foundation branded business pad-folios & lapel pins are awarded to certified Crew Manager and Advanced Crew Manager professionals.
- Official Virginia Horticultural Foundation branded certification logos are provided electronically to Crew Managers and Advanced Crew Managers in good standing; these logos can be used in printed and electronic materials (e.g., business cards, websites, email).
Maintaining Crew Manager and Advanced Crew Manager Certification
Certifications must be renewed by March 31st every two (2) years by accumulating appropriate Continuing Education Unit (CEUs):
- Crew Managers must earn and submit twelve (12) CEUs; six (6) of these hours must be from MAHSC
- Advanced Crew Managers must earn and submit six (6) CEUs; three (3) of these hours must be from MAHSC.
- Any hour of education at the MAHSC qualifies as a CEU.
- Any hour of education by another agency (outside your own work department) may qualify as a CEU.
- CEUs may include pesticide education programs
- Participants are encouraged to take a mix of horticultural and management classes to maintain their certification
- To request CEUs from outside classes, download the Request for CEU Credit form .
Questions? (757) 523-4734 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Crew Manager Testimonials:
“We definitely care about the Crew Manager Certification as that shows a measure of accomplishment. Our new advancement career path is based on the ability of staff to get on the job training, years of experience, classroom education AND certifications like this one. …when they get this certificate, their section of the career path will be complete and they will advance and get a raise.”
-Mr. Travis Mawyer, Landscape Senior Supervisor, University of Virginia
“I think the Crew Manager courses are generally pretty spot-on … to engage certain people end encourage them to move into higher positions in the industry… the program is a great way to boost morale of a younger employee with big sites…”.
-Chad Peevy, Grounds Manager, Old Dominion University